Saturday, September 17, 2011

Healthy Changes, Day 2: Fish Tacos

Day 2 Overview:
Exercise:  None
Weight:  214.3 lbs (- 2.7 total)
Recipe of the day:  Fish Tacos


It's a foggy rainy cold day here and the thing I want most is a big bowl of mac & cheese or some chunky vegetable soup, but I'll have the leftovers from yesterday instead.  That is one thing about fish - I'm am a lot less likely to leave it sitting in the fridge from fear of it going bad.  I had big plans of going to the farmers market this morning and buying a bunch of produce that is on the list, but that didn't happen.  Maybe Wednesday morning...

I've had a "cat day" today, where I don't get much done and sleep too much.  Maybe I'll have the crazy cat energy later, but so far I just feel like going back to bed.  I woke up at 8 and went back to bed, woke up at 10:30 and was feeling very out of it (like I might have a cold coming on) so I went back to sleep again.  Finally got up after lunch time and have just had tea and water.  I looooove food, so not being interested in food and not being hungry is an odd sensation for me and one I usually associate with illness (a cold, the flu, etc.) so I'm not so keen on that.  I know I need to eat the remaining fish tacos today but nothing is appealing to me at the moment, fish least of all.  Oh well, I'm hoping I'll feel better tomorrow so I can really get going on this plan.  One good thing about feeling like this is that I've lost weight since yesterday, down over 2 pounds.  It's not the healthiest rate of decrease, but I think I gained 2 pounds the day before, so I'm not really surprised by it.

Here's the downloadable recipe pdf file on the CLEAN Program website, Recipes, and the specific recipe for Fish Tacos is copied below without amendments.  Here's what we did differently:  I used 1 pound of sea bass instead of 2 pounds and it was plenty for two tacos each with leftovers for two tacos.  I didn't make the chips and we just used the Ezekial sprouted corn tortillas for the tacos instead, heating them up individually in a pan on the stove.  They were really good!  It was the flavor of a hard shell taco but with the flexibility of a soft shell.  I think we'll be getting those again for our Mexican meals from now on, no matter what the recipe.  Henry couldn't find any persimmons because they are out of season, so we didn't make the salsa this time but might try it next time with some substitutes like apples or apricots.  We ended up using the remaining salsa we had in the fridge (yes, that is cheating, since nightshades, like tomatoes, aren't on the list, but we also didn't want to throw it away) and just sliced the avocado since it wasn't ripe enough to mush into guacamole.  We also added some mixed baby greens onto the taco.  It just wanted some cheese to be perfect, but was really quite good even without it!


Fish Tacos with Homemade Chips, Guacamole, and Persimmon Salsa
2 cups almond or rice milk
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 pounds skinless halibut or sea bass or trout, coarsely sliced into 1” x 1” pieces

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl with the fish pieces and toss to coat.
Cover and place in the fridge for 1-3 hours or overnight if you plan to make it for the next day.
When ready to make them, preheat oven to 300 and place the tortillas on a baking sheet until warm and then loosely wrap in dishtowels to keep them soft and warm (you can also warm them on a large pan on the stovetop over medium low heat until just warmed).
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large saucepan and remove the fish from the soaking marinade and cook over medium heat until just barely golden brown, approximately 5 minutes.
Spoon into the warmed tortillas and serve with avocado and chipotle salsa.

Homemade Chips:
4 Ezekial sprouted corn tortillas
or 2 brown rice tortillas (Food for Life)
Optional: olive oil
Optional: sea salt
Cut the tortillas into wedges (into quarters or eighths), brush with optional olive oil and dust with sea salt
Place in a single layer on two baking sheets and toast for 5-8minutes until golden and crispy.
Watch them carefully to avoid burning!

Persimmon Salsa:
2 cups very ripe persimmons, chopped or mashed (the more ripe and falling apart they are, the better/sweeter they are so if they mash rather than slice, it’s fine and the salsa will be amazing!)
1/2 red onion
Cayenne or chili powder to taste
1/4 cup mixed basil and mint leaves
1 tablespoon flax or olive or coconut oil
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (adjusting to taste)
2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined and let marinate for a few minutes, adjusting seasonings to taste, serving immediately or storing in the fridge for a few days (covered), letting it come to room temp before serving again.

Serves 6
6-12 Brown Rice Tortillas
(1 or 2 per person, depending how hungry you are!)
http://www.cleanprogram.com/files/goop-recipes.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment