Sunday, September 18, 2011

Healthy Changes, Day 3: Millet Risotto

Day 3 Overview:
Weight:  213.8 lbs (-3.2 total)
Exercise: 2.5mile walk in 45 min.
Recipe:  Millet Risotto with Mushrooms and Artichoke Hearts

I ended up having some soup for dinner last night since I was feeling bad and so we had the remaining fish tacos for a quick lunch before Henry left for work today.  Still delicious and I accidentally discovered that the Ezekial sprouted corn tortillas can be made into hard shells if you cook them in the pan a little too long.  :)  Good to know for a future Mexican pizza creation! 
I'm trying to decide between the Millet Risotto and the summer squash recipe for tonight since H is at work and doesn't like the ingredients in either of those.  We'll see what I settle on in a little bit...  1:48pm.

I ran some errands and then went on a short walk and decided I'd turn on the Emmys while I cooked dinner.  Taking a look at the veggies I determined that I needed to cook the mushrooms more urgently than the squash and zucchini, so Risotto it is.  It was really good, but I wish I'd cut the recipe in half.  I have sooo many leftovers and Henry won't touch them with a 100 foot pole because of the mushrooms.  I didn't measure the mushrooms since I needed to use the whole container and don't like them raw.  So I chopped them up and in the pot they all went, with half an onion and a shallot.  The mountain of mushrooms worked out just fine since I used a can of Progresso french onion soup and a box of some organic french onion soup, too, making it 6 cups of soup.  I did like the extra soup onions from the can of soup and the flavor of that one enhanced the meal. 
Is it soup yet?  Adding the french onion soup 1/2 cup at a time...
 It took a long time to make and I don't know why it can't be done by following the millet directions of lid-on simmer for 30 minutes instead of slowly stirring in a half cup of soup at a time.  That seems a little crazy.  However, I ended up with a grown-up version of one of my favorite comfort foods, rice with cream of mushroom soup.  This has more depth of flavor and the addition of artichoke hearts makes it really excellent.  Perfect for a cool fall day and at around just 200 calories per 1 cup serving it is astonishing how filling it is.  I think next time I'll try it with the vegetable broth to see if it comes out more like the picture they have in the recipes pdf.  Mine is certainly more dark and thick than theirs.  I also think Henry would like it quite a bit if I took out the mushrooms, but I'm going to want to try the butternut squash option that is listed at the bottom of the recipe and he won't like that one either.  I'll just make smaller batches of the ones that only I will eat and that way it won't get boring.  Below is the recipe from the website.  Enjoy!
Mostly finished product, with herbs and artichokes added.  I let it simmer a bit more to thicken up.

Millet Risotto with Artichoke Hearts
This is, hands down, one of my absolute favourite recipes, combining the creamy comfort of risotto with the soft tang of artichoke hearts, instead of butter and white rice, this is made with omega 3 rich oil and protein packed millet. This recipe is incredibly versatile (I’ve added just one of the many variations below) and has won over many die-hard “traditional” risotto lovers.

3 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms (any kind)
1 cup millet
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 cups artichoke hearts, make sure they’re sugar and additive free if you’re buying them in a can or jar
Sea salt and fresh pepper
4-6 cups french onion soup or organic vegetable broth

In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil with the shallots and mushrooms, and cook, stirring frequently until softened (about 5 minutes).
Add cup of water, bring the heat to high, and add the millet. Then lower heat to medium and start to add the stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition, every few minutes. When the stock has been almost completely absorbed after each addition, keep adding more, so the mixture isn’t quite soup but stays very moist.
Keep doing this until millet is tender and has at least doubled in size (about 20 minutes).
Add herbs and artichoke hearts at the last few minutes of cooking and taste for texture.
Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.

Variation: Millet Risotto with Butternut Squash
Instead of the artichoke hearts, add 1 cup diced butternut squash (that’s been cooked in oil until lightly browned — about 5 minutes — and add chopped shallots towards the end and sage for your herb.

Makes 4 servings
Time: 30 minutes
From the Clean Program website.

No comments:

Post a Comment