Monday, September 19, 2011

Healthy Changes, Day 4: Three Taste Noodles

Day 4 Overview:
Weight: 213.6 lbs (-3.4 total)
Exercise:  4.6 mile walk in 1.5 hr
Recipe of the Day:  Three Taste Noodles (not for everybody...)


It has been a pretty good day for the healthy changes, with this evening's exception of wine. :)  Tomorrow starts the "official" Clean Program for me, so we are ending the transition period with some wine before 21 days straight if smoothies & strange meals.  Today's was indeed a strange meal.

I had the Millet Risotto again for lunch and it was a good leftovers meal.  I packed up the rest of the mountain of millet into 1cup containers and put most of them in the freezer for later meals.  I'm hoping it will recover from the freezer well, but left some for meals this week in the fridge just in case it isn't a good freezer food.

Then I went out on a nice long walk and got a little bit of a sunburn.  It isn't bad, just surprising, since it was such a nice cool day in the low 70's.  The leaves are starting to turn in the park and the meadow in the middle of it is overgrown with Queen Anne's Lace and all the late summer grasses.  What was surprising was the snake on the road about a third of the way through my walk.  I still have the initial instinct to chop off their heads, but I resisted and skirted way around this little dude and left it for somebody else to freak out about.  It was just trying to get warm on the pavement but I have a feeling it is mostly dead by now.  Scared city-humans & their fear of snakes in parks.  Yes, it could hurt you, but really, you are more likely to hurt it.  I'll be sure to update if there is a snake carcase on the road tomorrow.

So, here's the scoop on dinner.  Weird.  Not bad, but certainly a little weird.  I did like the idea of the squash as noodles and will work with that again, but probably with different flavors.  I love curry (from the Indian varieties to the Englishman, my dear Tim Curry) and gladly eat it in mass quantities, but it isn't usually this strong.  Perhaps the addition of some rice would mellow out this meal, so I may try that tomorrow when I eat the remainder.  It is a bit freaky that I have any leftovers, since I cut the recipe in half after the giant pile of food last night, but I will admit that I didn't eat very much of it in it's raw state in the hopes that the 'noodles' will mellow out a bit by tomorrow.  The website's recipe is below and you can see their pictures in the following link.  Also, what anchovies were they using? Something totally different from what I had from the picture they have in the recipe pdf.  Just when I thought I'd finally get the fish smell out of the apartment...
Vegetable peeler shaved squash with the other ingredients.
Finished (or, rather, very curried) product.

Three Taste Noodles
Farmer’s market bounty provides an amazing ready-in-five-minutes meal that everyone will love; salty, spicy, sweet, they’re the perfect combination.
Feel free to experiment with additions, using different olives, capers, pine nuts, different chopped vegetables and herbs, even fresh or dried mushrooms.

2 large summer squash (or you can use zucchini if you like), made into long thin strips with a vegetable peeler (if organic, there’s no need to discard
the skins and you can use the seeds, going right down as far as you can still get strips from it.
2 tablespoons almond butter
2 tablespoons raw coconut amino acids (or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or wheat-free tamari sauce)
1 small package anchovy fillets (packed in olive oil only, make sure there are no additives), minced
1 small handful basil leaves, minced (should roughly equal 1 tablespoon, but you can adjust to taste)
Secret ingredient that makes it so incredible: 2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablespoon minced rosemary (fresh) or 1 teaspoon dried
3/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted (added at the end)
Optional: A pinch of sea salt to taste

Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl and serve immediately or keep in airtight container in the fridge for several days, the flavors will keep mingling together!

Serves 2
Time: 10 minutes
From the Clean Program Recipes pdf file.

No comments:

Post a Comment